For many fashionistas, denim is already an essential in their wardrobes. A good pair of jeans never goes out of style. This year, denim is in full focus whether it has a vintage vibe or is a timeless classic. Before you go out and buy your next piece of denim, here are five trends worth giving a try this season.
1. 70's details are back. The return of disco era fashion was a huge trend on the Spring 2016 runways. Flares are so in. When I say flare, I don't mean bell bottoms. Flare is more of modern cut that doesn't have as much volume, and the length isn't to the ground. Another great 70's denim detail making a comeback is high-waisted jeans. High-waisted flares look great with crop tops and will give you legs for days!
2. Let that hem be raw! A raw hem gives a more relaxed, worn-in look to your denim. The unfinished hem looks great in skinny jean styles to crop jean styles. This trend is popping up everywhere.
3. Go cropped! Rocking culottes (aka cropped denim) is all about balancing proportion and height. You want to make sure they hit below the widest point of your calves because otherwise it will look like you are in over-sized pants.
4. Rip it up. Of course, this trend isn't for everyone. But, if you like a bit of a rocker edge to your style, distressed jeans will be your best friend. While the distressed denim look gives us that bad girl feel, you can dress it up with an elegant top, jacket and pumps.
5. Be BOLD. While we know the classic blue jean will always be a staple, you can't be afraid to try a new color or print. In terms of hot denim colors, you want to aim for white, olive, rose, mint and light blue. Want to get even more bold? Then, try jeans in a printed style like stripes or a chevron.
Contributor: Paulette Wilson